The wooden churches of Maramures (a region in northern Romania) are outstanding examples of vernacular religious wooden architecture resulting from the interchange of Orthodox religious traditions with Gothic influences. We can see there local timber construction traditions with a high level of craft skills.
There are 8 churches constructed under timber traditions which are included in UNESCO’s World Heritage List since 1999. All of them were built between 1600 and 1800.
- The Church of the Presentation of the Virgin at the Temple (located in Barsana) – built in 1720 (parish since 1806);
- The Church of Saint Nicholas (located in Budesti) – built in 1643;
- The Church of the Holy Paraskeva – built in 1770;
- The Church of the Nativity of the Virgin (this one replace an older church which was destroyed by Tatars in 1717);
- The Church of the Holy Archangels (located in Plopis) – built in 1811;
- The Church of the Holy Parasceve (located in Poienile Izei) is the oldest wooden church from Maramures. It was built in 1604;
- The Church of the Holy Archangels – is located in Rogoz, but firstly it was built at Suciu de Sus in 1663. 220 years later was moved to Rogoz;
- The Church of the Holy Archangels (located in Surdesti) was built in 1767.
Wooden Churches of Maramures – video
Wooden Churches of Maramures – pictures